Road Safety and the under 11's
Some interesting findings from the UCL report in the UK about the need for a comprehensive road safety education programme for the under 11's.
Some of the conclusions drawn were:
• Children are a vulnerable group on the roads because the cognitive, motor and socioemotional skills they need in a traffic environment, are still developing.
• Children need consistent teaching of correct road safety messages.
• Resources should engage children to engage parents.
• Road safety education targeting parents has a positive effect on
parent and child knowledge and behaviour.
• Participants interviewed felt that interactive visual resources were a great way to start children thinking about road safety so they are ‘actually doing rather than just looking’.
• Parents were asking for resources that were targeted to the correct age group and engaged the children.
#roadsafety #education #schools #pedestrians